Thursday, January 6, 2011

When They Grow Up

For the first time today Ben came to us and told us what he wanted to be when he grew up.  He's never done this on his own before.  There may have been times when watching or reading something we have asked, "Ben, do you want to be a teacher when you grow up?"  And he's answered, but today it was completely out of the blue and on his own. 

While sitting at the kitchen table he announced, "When I grow up I want to be a fireman."  Ok.  Fireman is good.  But grow up?  You mean there is going to come a time when I don't have to cut his pancakes?  This is unbelievable to me.  Right now Ben is 6, Caleb is 4 and Eli is 2.  I have started to think about what next school year is going to be like when Ben in school all day and Caleb half day...but even that is a stretch to imagine.  I mean, I can't imagine the boys being 10, 12 and 14...let alone being "grown up."

This makes me think about all of the choices that they are going to have to make as they get older.  Right now they don't have many choices besides what shirt they want to wear or what they want to eat in their Happy Meal.  Denver and I decide what is best for them.  Knowing all of the decisions that they have ahead of them is kinda scary to think about.  But instead of being scared, I guess it's just one more thing to add to my prayer list.  I need to pray beyond Kindergarten and to their future careers and marriages and on and on...

Denver and I know this incredible couple.  Mick and Judy.  Mick passed away last year, but every time we get to spend time with Judy she keeps him alive by telling us stories about him.  She once told us that when their daughter was still young enough to be sitting in her highchair, Mick would stand over her and pray for her future and her future husband.  How amazing is that!  To pray for your future son-in-law for some 20ish years before you even know who he is?!

I'm going to start doing that for my boys....even as it seems sooo far off.  I am going to pray for the wives that they will someday have.  I am going to pray for the big decisions they will have to make.  And I am going to pray that they would find God's will for what they are going to be when they grow up.

2 comments:

  1. My amazing life with the best guy ever...the legacy of blessing that lives on even though my dad is gone. :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your dad's life will continue to touch people for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete