Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Legacy

You know those "awww" moments with your children?  Those times when you see them doing something and you wish that you could just freeze the moment.  One of those moments that you hope you'll never forget?  I had one of those moments on Christmas Eve.

That evening my dad's side of the family all got together and went to a Christmas Eve Service at a nearby church.  Afterwards everyone came to our house to celebrate.  There were 21 of us, but we all managed to find a place to sit and had a wonderful time talking and laughing together.  After dinner my boys hurried us all downstairs as they were anxious to exchange gifts.  When we were all settled my husband took out his bible to read the Christmas story. But before he could get started, Caleb went over to sit in his lap on the rocking chair next to the tree. 

So Denver started reading the story while I sat on the floor several feet in front of him holding Ben and Eli on my lap.  What a great moment....but that wasn't it.  It happened a few seconds later.  Denver was about halfway through the story when Caleb, who had been staring at the Bible as if he could read it, reached out his cute little hand and placed it under Denver's hand.  And there it was.  That moment.  It was my son, sitting in his daddy's lap, with his hand helping to hold the Bible while reading the story of Jesus' birth.  What a great picture.  It made me think of the awesome legacy we can leave our children if we help them to grow up knowing the love of God.

Ben is learning so many things this year in Kindergarten.  Letter sounds, reading, writing, rhyming...the list goes on and on.  We work on these things at home and drill them into his little mind, but we don't spend nearly as much time talking about God.  We do pray before meals and bedtime.  We often talk about Jesus and of course we go to church on Sunday, but are we really teaching them to love Jesus?  It's something I have to spend some more time thinking about and figuring out.  It's a big job and definitely the most important one I'll ever have.

And just to leave you with a smile on your face...  A few seconds after Caleb held Denver's had with his own, he used his other hand to start picking his nose.  My family behind me quickly went from saying, "awww" to chuckling.  Oh Caleb...you gotta love that boy.  I think some of the family got pictures, but I haven't seen them yet.  It might me a keeper to show future girlfriends.

No comments:

Post a Comment