Monday, November 13, 2017

Veteran's Day

     I'm beginning week six of cooking at the Mishawaka Food Pantry.  My last few posts have explained that I've been filling in there for the chef who had hip replacement surgery.  I'm happy to report that he's doing really well.  He even came in and made most of the meal for our Veteran's Day dinner.  It was wonderful to have him back, but it made him realize he isn't ready to start back this week.

     So I'm cooking this week and then he will be back next week.  He will prepare the meals for the pantry and I will help with our Thanksgiving meal preparation.  Then I think I'm done cooking!  Two weeks.  I think I can.  I think I can.  Ha!

     I have enjoyed it and it's been a great experience, but I'll be happy to go back to just cooking and doing dishes for my guys here at home.

   
As I mentioned above, I was able to be a part of a Veteran's Day ceremony and dinner.  It was such a honor to play a small part and to serve those that have so humbly served our country.  The Veterans presented the colors, did a 21 gun salute and played Taps.  Students from the Mishawaka High School Band played and Denver started the ceremony with prayer and a short message about how Veteran's Day came into existence.

     He also shared about how we want to teach our boys that true heroes do not wear jersey's with names and numbers on the back, but instead wear dog tags and boots.  Most veterans don't call themselves heroes, but that makes them heroes all the more.  Afterwards, we served them a dinner of brisket, mashed potatoes, veggies, rolls, vegetable soup, and cheesecake.

     One veteran personally shared with four of us a small glimpse into his time in Vietnam.  He told us about these two young boys who saved his life by warning them that someone had placed bombs underneath their vehicle when they got out to help someone else.  He and his men knew these two young boys by name and spoke with them regularly.  Shortly after the boys saved the mens lives, he saw the two boys and their water buffalo blown up by a landmine.  He also shared that when the family was compensated for their loss, they were given 30 some dollars for each of the boys lives, but around $500 for the water buffalo.  The lack of value of the the boys lives is heartbreaking.  With tears in his eyes, this gentleman fondly remembered the two young men that saved his life.

     Being there for the ceremony and for the dinner and for the sharing of stories is something I hope to never forget.  I thank God for men like that man that shared a small part of his story with us.  They have sacrificed more than I will even be able to understand.



No comments:

Post a Comment