Thursday, November 16, 2017

Things Are A Changing

     Just over 13 years ago, the doctor placed this slimy, wiggly little body in my arms and my life changed.

     Before Benjamin was born I had a job that I mostly loved.  It was exhausting and draining and heartbreaking at times, but I truly loved it.  I was a case manager at a county emergency shelter care facility.  We temporality housed children ages 5-17 who were taken from their homes due to neglect or abuse and also children who were arrested for runaway, battery, truancy, etc.  It was more than a job.  It was a place that I felt like I could sometimes make a difference.

     After having Ben I knew God was calling me to be a stay at home mom.  I fought it for a few months.  Finance wise it just didn't make any sense to quit my job.  But I was in such turmoil about it I couldn't even sit in church.  Week after week I walked out crying midway through service.  I knew I was being disobedient.

     About three months after returning to work, I sat with a very wise man in the sanctuary of our church when service was over.  It was a small back pew by the door.  We both sat straight looking ahead at the cross.  With tears running down my face I told him what I was feeling.  He held my hand and wisely told me that I already knew the answer to my dilemma.  He also told me that if I did what God was asking me to that I might sometimes have to sacrifice, but that I would never regret the decision.  He was right.

     The man passed away several years ago, but I know that now as my life changes again, he would smile, hold my hand and be proud of the new changes in my life.

     I have been filling in for the past six weeks as the cook at the food pantry.  I thought I was cooking this week too, but Tuesday the chef showed up and said he was released and that after that day I was free from cooking.  (Well, except for the week of Thanksgiving.  That week it's all hands on deck.)

     But instead of spending the last two days at home.  I started a new part-time job.  A job that I know is from God.  This job is also at the food pantry.  I am now officially the assistant to the director.  It's flexible so I can still be available for the boys in the case of sickness, field trips or school parties.  I mostly get to set my own hours.  And I get to make a difference to the people who come in to the pantry.  I get to help them get groceries, apply for help with their bills, pick out clothing for their children and generally just love on them and give them a smile.  Of course there is also paperwork and computer work, but even then it's all about helping people.  And already when I'm in the office, five minutes doesn't go by that someone doesn't stop by needing at least a kind word.

     I am sure there will be hard days.  And there are always a few people who are grouchy or who are taking advantage of the system, but I'm looking at it as a ministry.  It's a great way to share the love of Jesus with people who truly need to know that someone cares.  What an opportunity!

   So things are a changing.  But that wise man was right.  If I do what God is asking me to do, I might sometimes have to sacrifice, but I'll never regret the decision.

4 comments:

  1. So awesome Marcia. I am very excited about the future for the Burns family! We all have, and will continue, praying for you! Be blessed my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m proud of you and I know Mick would be too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless you on this new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful heart you have! Prayers on this change for you!

    ReplyDelete