Tuesday, March 21, 2017

I've Missed This.

Ahhh...I've missed this.  Writing.  It's a creative outlet that helps me to process information...and emotions...and relationships...and scriptures...and parenting issues...and well, lots of stuff.  My family has gone through some sad times in the past year and over and over I've thought to myself that I wanted to get back to writing, but I just never made the time.  This morning I decided the time is now.

My prayer is that God would use my writing time to strengthen my faith and relationships and that by sharing others might also be encouraged and strengthened.  So as I sit here on the couch this morning,  I pray to our Father, the one who loves us more than any other, that he would use my words to work in not only my life, but yours too.  I'm praying for you, dear reader.

A few weeks ago during my devotion time I came across this verse:

 "And the Lord said, 'My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.'' 
Exodus 33:14. 

It is such a comforting verse.  I've been focusing on the first part "my presence will go with you".  It's one of those things that I learned in Sunday School so many years ago. I know it in my head but day to day I don't really grasp it.  As I sit here and really try to comprehend what that means it's overwhelming.  The presence of God is with me.  With you.  The same God that created the earth, that split the sea, that rained down manna from heaven is here.  In this very room.  Isn't that amazing?  How do I so often take that for granted?

The view from the deck at The Cove.
Last fall Denver and I had an amazing opportunity to attend a retreat at the The Cove.  It's the Billy Graham Retreat Center in Asheville, North Carolina.  Each year Church of God Ministries and Christians Broadcasting Hope, rent out the facilities there and hold a retreat.  Denver and I were able to enjoy some time away together and to attend a few classes especially for pastors.  It was a great weekend and I hope we can go back again sometime.

The speaker during the retreat was Jim Lyon.  He is the General Director of the Church of God.  He weaves a lot of storytelling and history into his messages.  He shared a lot with us over the long weekend, but one simple thing he said continues to come back to me much like the scripture above.  He said, "Whenever you enter a room, the Spirit of Jesus Christ enters with you."  It sounds simple but something about it really spoke to me.  I kept entering different rooms in the beautiful buildings with vaulted ceilings and giant fireplaces and each time I would cross the threshold, I would think "He's here."  It's amazing how differently you think about things, how differently you treat people, how differently you speak when you first think "He's here."  I want to get back to that way of thinking again.

I've started today.  When I walk into my kitchen "He's here".  When I head down to do mounds of laundry "He's here."  When my boys fight or ask what's for dinner for the hundredth time "He's here." When I'm serving at the food pantry tomorrow "He's here."  When I feel like someone isn't treating me fairly "He's here."

"And the Lord said, 'My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest'" Exodus 33:14.

"He's here."

1 comment: